<VV> shocks

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Jun 7 10:15:14 EDT 2005

>We're also picking nits here...one of our most successful Corvair racers
>seems to think that shocks are one of the least important handling
>considerations

I agree with that. Personally feel that the less suspension, the better.

That said, most American cars are not designed like a Lotus where every bit
contributes to the handling and needs help, anti-sway bars to control roll
(and can be used to transfer weight fore and aft if the chassis is stiff
enough, is how you got a formula Vee to steer). Shocks are really there to
dampen harmonics (why they are also called dampeners) however they can be
used to stiffen up a soft suspension when there is no other option.

On a race track a stiff enough chassis and front shocks can allow you to
carry the front tire over the obstacles on the inside of a corner (kerbs,
tires, corner workers feet) and open up the corner to some extent but my
feeling is that the shock is really a "last resort" if conventional methods
fail.

One time a number of years ago I had an F-stock Sunbird with a SBC stuffed
in its nose from the factory that used to run with the 911s. Had special
custom made shocks all around stiff enough that you could tell if the
cigarette butt just squashed was plain or filter tip. Front and rear sway
bars (also "factory") , stuffed panda on the shifter.

After a successful set of runs, was restoring to street drivable
(comfortable) condition which included replacing the race shocks with some
Sears Heavy Duties when they announced that the coulse would be available
for fun runs with passengers. Since air was still in tires and son
expressed an interest in being a passenger, I said "why not".

At the starting line was advised that these were to be "for fun" and to
take it easy so did. Started in second gear (to reduce shifting) and
generally did not peak as far as usual since was trying to be more gentle
than usual. Didn't even cross the finish line backwards 8*). Still time was
good enough to take class by several seconds. Shocks really didn't matter
if the rest of the car was right.

Padgett

ps yes Virginia, several seconds, not tenths. Some cars are really horrible
street cars but exactly right for autocrossing. Colin Chapman school at
least. Used to wear out two tires and break one wheel every weekend. Have
punched shocks through the TOP of the shock tower. Finally retired when the
lower A-Arm separated from the "chassis" and entire structure was riddled
with cracks and welds