<VV> Vette brakes

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Tue Jun 7 09:53:30 EDT 2005

Levair at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 6/3/05 7:26:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pp2 at 6007.us
> writes:
>
> << Trivia: what corvair part was used to keep racing Corvette brakes cool ? >>
> Corvair engine cooling fan?,
>    Yes I remember those huge Corvette drum brakes.
> Warren

More easily adaptable to Corvairs at the time were the NASCAR brakes
used on whatever Chevy was running in NASCAR.  These comprised specially
ground drums and metallic/ceramic pad shoes that fit the Corvair.  To
adapt them, the fronts were used in the rear and vice versa.  The new
rears needed the parking brake slots cut in the shoes, but otherwise
were a direct fit.

I can attest that they never faded.  I could, however, slag my
speedometer cable plastic sleeve until I replaced it with a teflon(R) one.

kirby