<VV> Cendiv champ autocross report-long and windy

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Sun Jun 5 19:27:52 EDT 2005

I love Indiana weather!
  One again, I drove in the rain to get to an event. I'm home now (Sun
afternoon) and it's pouring rain.
During the event at Grissom Air force base near Peru IN, The weather was
clear and in the eighties both days.
   Grissom has the grippiest surface of any place that we run, far grippier
event than the Nationals site.
   Which means that we have no need to go to the Nationals as all of the
National quality competitors come here to practice. This is a great come up ence
for us home bodies as we get thouroughly clobbered.
   The test of a good course design is when you are getting clobbered and
enjoying it tremendously anyway.
   The top speeds were no higher than usual (very top of second gear with a
3.27 axle), but the AVERAGE  speed was way up. There was no point and squirt
(slowing to a near stop and accelerating down a long straight) but lots of high
monteum, high G force sweepers. I thought that Saturday's course was
unbeatable, but I was wrong; Sunday's was even better.
    Kudos to the Indy Region! Best event ever at Grissom.
  We met another Corvair enthusiast there--Tom Donavan driving a late turbo
coupe in ESP.
  Michael ran his Stinger in STS and sort of competed in CP.
 My sorting seem to be done on the Orange car. So it'll see very few
autocrosses now. I installed a shift light as I never have time to look at the tach. I
ran the alarm up to 7000 to avoid seeing the alarm, the setting wasn't high
enough. There was so much grip that I was lifting(not tucking)  the inside rear
wheel in the sweepers.

     Wow,
Great fun,
Warren