<VV> 3 on tree - no more!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jun 7 18:58:25 EDT 2005

Warren _LeVeque_ (mailto:LeVeque at aol.com)  writes:

I had a  hi po 55 Chevy with 3 on the tree. It wore to the point where it was

nearly unusable. I elected to not put in a floor shift and had the column
rebuilt.
I wanted my girl friend to sit really close to  me.

As usual I put performance ahead of Comfort - I finally outgrew that!
My 55 Chevy (first car) got a Hurst "Mystery Shifter" for the three speed.
With the removable stick, I could get the trans out on the ground in about 10
minutes. That came in handy as the synchro blocking rings on the three-speed
were no match for the speed of the shifter (Not me, the Hurst) and they would
pop out regularly. (Take out the trans, bring it to my friend, have it
reassembled) Then as now, I hated working on transmissions. The day I went to my
first T-10 4-speed was a day to remember. With a new Hurst Competiton Plus, It
was like shifting in warm butter. Just thinking about that T10 makes  my
Corvette feel clunky! That's why I demand tight shifting for my  Corvairs!

- Seth Emerson