<VV> showroom

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 21:50:13 EDT 2005

City Chevrolet, Kingston, PA, mid October.
The huge showroom windows are covered by brown
wrapping paper Scotchtaped on the inside. It's
probably mid-October or late September, anyway, school
was in and the word was out that the new Chevys were
lurking behind that brown paper.

We rode to the showroom on our bikes and looked for
that elusive chink in the wrapping paper. Sure enough,
there was a chink and inside was a white and teal
Chevy convertible. "Hey you kids, whatta you doin?"
came the shout from one of the used car guys who had
to hang out in the outside used car lot. We
skedaddled, but marked the date of the unveiling.

Inside the showroom was all 50s modern.... asbestos
floor tile with a border; the receptionist behind a
curved glass brick enclosure, alone there with her
plug-and-cord telephone switchboard. A curved
staircase up to the balcony where the honchos' offices
were, and down below maybe four cars in the showroom
(how did they ever get them in there?) and a couple of
nondescript cubicles for the salesmen, every one in a
shiny business suit.

There were brochures in a rack, but the atmosphere was
not for browsers -- serious business going on here it
is, after all, A New Car Showroom. Just up Market
Street was David Ertley's Oldsmobile dealership, and
they wouldn't even talk to you there without an
appointment.

Nobody I knew ever bought a car at City Chevrolet and
drove off with it the same day. You ORDERED your car,
put some money down and waited. When the call came
that, "your car is in," it was a time of great
jubilation because now your dad had the newest car on
the block.

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza Convert

Message: 4