<VV>Battery Drain

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Jun 8 17:04:10 EDT 2005

At 04:12 PM 6/8/2005, you wrote:
> > Replace the alternator.

Errr folks, since do not have a 'vair yet (hint) I can only go on memory of
years at Delco Remy but the stock alternator in a Corvair would be a 10DN
and not a 10SI. This means it has an external regulator and if one of the
relays sticks (is that a one or two relay regulator ?) it could also drain
the battery. If that happened then most likely the ALT light would always
be on though might be dim.

If it is the internal diode then the diode trio is a separately replacable
item (in fact I recall once converting a 10DN from negative to positive
ground for use in an XKE by replacing the diodes). Might even have some
kicking around here somewhere.

One way to tell would be to turn on the heater blower to MAX and the
headlights and watch the voltage. If it drops to around 12.5v or less when
running then I'd look to the diode but if the voltage stays up, look at the
regulator.

Padgett