<VV> Help needed - Carb questions - again

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 8 22:16:41 EDT 2005

For what seems like the one-thousandth time in the last year, I re-synched
my carbs.  This was after I screwed up setting the fast idle/choke settings,
which I corrected by taking the carbs off the cars and making sure every
stinking setting was correct with the shop manual.  The choke/fast idle
works great now.

BUT, I still have a low speed stumble or miss as you apply the gas.  I can
feel this in the engine when I just pull on the linkage a little.  Both
primaries are in perfect synch according to the uni-synch and the engine
idles smoothly at 800 to 850 rpm, except for occasionally when it drops to
where it almost stalls.

The one thing I did notice, which I hadn't seen before this problem popped
up, was gas squirting up the top of the left side secondary when I pull on
the linkage.  I'm only pulling on the linkage a little and doing it very
gradually to where the stumble/miss starts - maybe 1000 rpm.  It's no where
near where the throttle plates on the secondaries begin to open up. The
throttle plate is closed on that carb when this is happening.  I put my hand
over the top of the carb and pulled on the linkage a little as I had before
and could not feel any vacuum from the carb, but the palm of my hand was wet
with gas.

I'm guessing a stuck float, but would this little bit of gas cause a low
speed stumble/miss?

This figures, this is the only carb that hasn't been replaced for the second
time since I had them rebuilt last year.  I spent all last summer fighting
carb problems and now it's starting again.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Corsa Member