<VV> Exhaust manifold question

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Thu Jun 9 08:44:19 EDT 2005

Norm,

I'm catching up on the overnight VV digests and it looks like you've
already gotten some good advice on the stud frozen into the exhaust log.
But I'll add my 2 cents worth anyway...

The stud on Christine was rusted to an unformed blob when I had to take
the nut off to replace the x-over pipe.  The advice from VV was to soak
repeatedly in PB'laster, heat it good and hot, and slowly loosen and
tighten repeatedly.  Sounds like good advice, but I guess I'm not
patient enough because I wound up snapping the stud almost flush with
the ear in the exhaust log.

My solution was to take the exhaust log off and take it to a garage I'd
been doing business with for decades.  It took them a week, but they
finally got that sucker out.  They never did tell me how they did it,
but I suspect they eventually drilled it out.

Moral of the story:  A trusted mechanic and auto parts store are an
invaluable back-up for a jack-leg like me.  (One of these days when the
FLAPS thread gets going again on VV, I'll share my praise of B&W Auto
Parts in beautiful downtown Norcross, GA.  Small town service is not
forgotten, look away, look away...)

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible she-devil