<VV> Exhaust manifold question

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Jun 9 14:51:33 EDT 2005

At 08:28 hours 06/08/2005, Sethracer at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 6/8/2005 3:59:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>hyarnell1 at earthlink.net writes:
>
>Oye; the  worst case. my ONLY success with exhaust studs is to get the log
>ears as  red as possible with a torch, and attempt to wiggle the stud (either
>double  nutted, or vice gripped), until it wants to thread  out.
>

>That is the best way - The alternate is to cut it off, grind it flat,  drill
>the center and begin the driloing out of the center of the remaining
>material. This usually done after you twist off the remaining part of the
>old  stud!

There's one other shot.

If it breaks, do some cleanup and MIG-weld a nut onto the end of the broken
stud.  Build up the weld until it fills the nut, making *sure* you got a
good bite on the face of the broken stud.   Grind the stud face flat and
shiny if necessary so as to get a good bond with the weld.    Break out the
torch and heat the EAR of the manifold, NOT the stud/nut, and begin gently
working the nut back and forth with a box end wrench, taking your
time.   Apply more heat to the ear as needed.   It's probably gonna need to
glow before you'll be able to loosen the stud.

So far, every broken stud I've tried to remove this way has come out and
the ear threads remained undamaged, or as undamaged as they were before I
started on them.

Replace the studs with ones made of stainless steel and use brass
nuts.   If you ever need to take anything loose again, it will come apart
easy with no damage.

tony..