<VV> Carter YH Float Adjustment Opinions Wanted

David Baker dbaker10 at twcny.rr.com
Thu Jun 9 22:35:04 EDT 2005

I smelled gas today while I had the engine lid open on my '64
Spyder. This was just after running it to adjust ignition timing.

Found gas seeping  from the center venturi in the carb on the
Carter YH carb used on the turbo engines. I'm assuming that means
high float level. I checked level adjustment, was 1 3/8" from top
cover gasket surface to center seam of float. I lowered the level
adjustment about 3/32" to about
1 15/32" - 1 1/2".

Float drop adjustment from top cover gasket surface was about 1
3/4" to center seam of float, or 2 3/8" to bottom corner of
float.

Amount of travel between float level and float drop is about
1/4".

The car always started good hot or cold with the previous float
level setting.

Do these numbers sound reasonable for a street driven car? Any
other suggestions?  Thanks.

Dave Baker