<VV> Progress Report

Scott Cable s2cable1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 20:12:12 EDT 2005

Vairheads:
Progress as of 6-10-05:
Recieved on Tuesday new linkpins, shims and bushings, new snubbers, and torsion beam seals.  These were the last parts I needed to get the front end back together.  Off to Dakota Engine builders to have the new king-pin bushings installed along with the new link-pin bushings.
Got the parts back Thursday night and installed the new spindle assemblies.   Installed the new bearing races into the new rotors, then went hunting for my wheel bearing grease.  No where to be found, so I grab the wife and we head off to Wally-World and I purchase some wheel bearing grease and some mini grease cartridges.  Pack the wheel bearings, install the new seals, slap the rotor onto the new spindle...I planned to use the old thrust washers, retaining nut and grease caps from the drum brake set-up.  Drum brake parts don't fit...
rats and rundin friggin....So I install the new brake calipers to retain the rotors until I can get some more parts. Sigh!
  So ....because I'm a persistant type of person, I install the front stabilizer bar with the new rubbers, brackets and clips.   This is no simple feat, first you have to squeeze the clamp ends together with the biggest pair of waterpump pliers you have, then clamp the ends together further with a large pair if vice grips.  With another pair of vice grips, alternatively clamp the vice grips until the bracket ends touch.  Then you get to tap the retainer clip over the ends of the clamp, then bend the retaining tab on the end of the clip.
And you get to do this no less than 4 times!
  Finally, the stabilizer bar is on...Now I get to service all of the zerk fittings, I install a new grease cartridge into my mini grease gun, install the gun onto the first zerk, squeeze the handle and .... ka-pow, the grease gun comes apart and sends grease all over hell and back!
Grease in my hair, all over the chassis, everywhere -- except where I want it....rats and rundin friggin, frackin, rumblin', grumpin'...You can guess the rest!  But no, I'm still that persistant type of person, so now I go about fixing the friggin' grease gun, finally get that done, get the zerks all serviced, now after 11:30 pm...
Having all kinds of fun in Jamestown, ND!

Scott Cable
Jamestown, ND
s2cable1 at yahoo.com