<VV> Radio upgrade

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Sat Jun 11 11:10:21 EDT 2005

I have been considering options for upgrading or replacing my factory radio.
I have always been torn on this one.  I do not see a way to get truly good
sound in a Corvair without making permanent mods and losing the stock look.
On the other hand I would like to have FM available and better electronics
than what the factory radio had to offer.  I came across this, which I
thought was quite interesting:

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/stereoF.htm

This company takes your original radio--could be AM or AM/FM, doesn't
matter--and guts it, replacing the chassis with a four channel, digitally
tuned AM/FM tuner.  The look stays absolutely stock and it can be run in
mono mode.

I was wondering if anyone has done this.  It's not cheap, but I like the
concept a lot, because it gives all the functionality without losing the
stock look.  With a better than stock speaker, this looks like an ideal
option for my convertible.

Norm