<VV> Brass showing

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Jun 11 17:30:26 EDT 2005

>  I have decided to just
>replace the rod bearings & not split the case.

Just an observation. Whenever I get a crank back from any work atol, I
always chase the oil passages with some long pipe cleaners. Sometimes is
clean but sometimes is a remarkable amount of grit that emerges. Good idea
to clean the cases and rod passages sparkly as well.

Also when assembling an engine, all rotating surfaces get coated with STP
just to be sure they do not start dry. It works for me.

Of course I am the type that fills oil filters before installing even if a
PF-47.

Partly comes from the Westphalia I had many years ago. After a couple of
years did a full engine rebuild including align bore of the cases. Several
months of good running the temperature dropped under 30F (was living in
Texas at the time). Started fine but 30 seconds later it froze solid.

Winched into garage & was evident the mains were scored. Rebuilt again
using same machine shop. Once again ran fine until temp dropped under 30 &
froze on startup. Same-same.

By third time it froze tempers were getting heated and lots of finger
pointing. Turned out the align bore had somehow gotten one main .002" off
center. At normal temps everything was fine. Cold enough and got metal to
metal contact on startup.

You learn from mistakes but the process can sure get frustrating.

Padgett