<VV>Rod bearings

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Jun 11 17:56:06 EDT 2005

In a message dated 6/11/05 2:29:24 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
dmonasterio at megared.net.mx writes:

>  Just some toughts and a question:
>
>    Please correct me if wrong but, I think that all cars equiped with the
> 140 HP engine were attached to 3.55 diffs.,

For the MT, the 3.27 was optional

13" wheels with about 24" rolling diameter on tires.

>    When using a 3.27 diff. and larger diameter tires, to obtain, say 3,000
> rpm instead of 4,000 rpm, for the same car speed,

I know that Dave said 1000 rpm, but I don't really think he really meant it.
Reducing the rpm that much seems excessive and would be very hard to achieve.

while driving hard; the load on the outer halfs (piston side) of the the rod
bearings
> will be greater than on an original set car and if the oil pressure is not
> the right one then, could all these contribute to an abnormal bearing wear ?

I guess anything is possible, but with the bearing wear uniformly around the
whole bearing, that hypothsis seems doubtful. In this instance, ring or cyl
side load wear would seem more likely.