<VV> Brake shoe length

Chris C ricorvair at cox.net
Sun Jun 12 12:06:59 EDT 2005

I got a set of brake shoes from a corvair vendor a couple years
ago.  Finally putting them on a car.

First my technical question.

The orig shoes were the same length of material on each shoe of the
pair.  These have a short shoe.  Which one goes to the front of the car.  I
checked the service manual and all the pictures make it look like the shoes
are the same length.

Now the is this normal questions:
	The longer shoe is thicker than the short shoe.
	Also 1.5 pairs are narrower than the other 2.5 pairs is this normal.   By
about an inch.

I put one set on of the long thick ones in the rear.  Had to force the drum
on.  Drove it and it drove ok, but was enligtened that I should replace
them in pairs.  Thats when I noticed the problem.

Thanks to all.