<VV> Brake Vibration Solved

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 12 11:25:31 EDT 2005

Hi, Guys,

Last week I posted a question about a high rate vibration I was experiencing after I rebuilt my brakes.  Whenever I hit the brakes I had a "flutter" like the braking force was changing at many times the wheel rotation rate.  By the end of my 15 mile commute, the vibration was gone, but it was back next time I drove the car.  I was mystified by the high frequency of the flutter.  Among other things, I had bought new front drums and had the rears turned at PeepBoys (why I keep going there is a mystery).

Pulled my drums yesterday, and didn't like the way the rears looked - small spots every inch or so around the drums - shiny like they were sticking up.
So, I had them checked at the local brake shop and found that the two new fronts were out of round and the two rears I had turned at PeepBoys were even more out of round.  So, I had the shop turn all 4.  All is now well, with smooth, straight stops.

Roger