<VV>Points

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Mon Jun 13 09:07:31 EDT 2005

Good thing then that my Corvair was built in 1966 and not 1960.  While I
had to rebuild the turbo once because of oil coking, and the valves
would get burned from detonation during racing, when I tore the engine
down after 120k miles and about 300 laps around Briar Raceway, the crank
journals and cam surfaces were so close to spec that I couldn't
determine whether the difference was my micrometer or factory tolerance.

kirby

padgett46 at bellsouth.net wrote:
>>You would think that you
>
> would get more than 40,000mi out of a set. :')<
>
> Actually, in 1960, 40-50k was the time you thought about rebuilding the engine and 100K was junkit time. By 1980 100k was accepted and now 200k is common but oncet upon a time...

<snip>