<VV> Re:WASHER BELLOWS? Nobody fixes anything anymore!

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 16:29:07 EDT 2005

> Everyone want to throw everything away and have you buy new.  It is a huge
> waste of resources and money

It's why I hate the Greens so much. All the emphasis on recycling rather
than using things until they are worn out encourages people to delude
themselves that it is 'green' to buy new equipment, as long as you recycle
the old stuff (which is utter, utter piffle - recycling is an incredibly
polluting activity, even when done as 'greenly' as possible - not least in
terms of the fossil fuels consumed taking things to the recycling location
and then treating them).

by this rationale you can buy something, use it for 6 months, grow bored
with it, throw it away and buy a new one, and as long as it gets recycled
you can feel smug (in fact I know a large number of people who take exactly
that attitude).

It makes me sick. The throwaway culture, enthusiastically supported by the
Greens...

Cheers

Alan