<VV> Broken fan belts

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Mon Jun 13 19:08:54 EDT 2005

All,

A strange problem.
  I haven't actually thrown a fan belt in years, although sometimes they get
so worn and so stretched that they won't follow the pulleys.
  After a recent run in the Thomas/Roe car, I literally ripped a nearly new
belt apart. Just broke it in two.
   I was running without the windshield, so more air was going through the
rear scoop. I had installed a plenum from the scoop to the fan inlet. These were
all first time experiments.
   I am assuming that the forced air is denser and the fan is almost pumping
liquid.
   I had this happen in the 70s on my race Stinger. I had plumbed two 8"
ducts to the fan inlet from the headlight openings. I immediately broke a new fan
belt. Removing the fan plenum temporarily solved the problem. I cured this
later by not running a fan at all---another story.
   I'll temporarily remove the plenum on the Orange car.
   Any one else ever have this happen.?

Warren