<VV> green rant and some corvair related stuff

robert harvey roharvey at nmsu.edu
Mon Jun 13 19:52:56 EDT 2005

  I agree that we are a small group of individuals who like a car that was
technically ahead of its time (by at least a decade) and that we like
trying to keep them running . Which makes us "different" but if you look at
Science and Mechanics of the 1940s you would find a several issue run on
how to build a house (I have it) and up to the 70's there were magazines
that showed you how to fix or build something. Todays magazines for the
most part tell you where to buy things . Before I retired I saw newer
technology change a TV Station many timesin 20 years....We started with a
film chain and one videotape machine (2" Quad),I saw the 3/4 tape
revolution which was replaced with 1/2 tape and just hit the start of the
Video server technology and HDTV.
  The world keeps changing but I think we may have the right idea to keep
an older american (and canada) made vehicle running and I think one
important reason is that we are truly green (I am sorry) as we are
recycling parts and information,we will field strip a rusted out corvair
and send it off to be made into something useful. We will work for hours to
get something to work because (to a large extent) we can't find many who
know how (or wants to know how) to repair a corvair.We (greens) will step
forward with needed skills and information which we freely exchange.
  We aren't into corvairs for the money they will bring (I don't need to
explain why) but I have made friends and I have had help from people I have
never met. Why, because we like to do things with our hands and go back to
a time when you (for the most part) could repair your own vehicle even if
was only enough so you could get it home.I hope to pass these skills to my
son (he already wants my corvair) so that he can cope with the world of
tomorrow. We have people who are looking ahead to see if different engines
will go into corvairs,how to modify fuel systems so corvairs can still
function in the future . This makes us "different" from the main stream but
we are conserving resources and enjoying it.
   I hope that we never learn to buy one of the new plasticars every 6
years and throw the old one away because you can longer get parts. (for
that old series of plasticars)
  Save as many as you can, gentlemen, and pass them and your skills on to
the next generation
rant over
bob harvey