<VV> green rant and some corvair related stuff

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Mon Jun 13 20:22:36 EDT 2005

Nice post Robert.  You sum it up really well.  Whenever someone snaps at
me
"how can youd d rive an old car or how can you say you claim to care
about
the enviroment when you drive an old car?"   My response always is that
first, all cars pre-1974 account for less then 1/2 of 1 percent of
pollution released anymore, and second, it will take more energy to
produce, and put more pollution into the atmosphere to create a new car
then my old car will produce in all its remaining miles.    As to the
absolute truth af those statements I am not absolutely sure, but it is
reasonable, and as I recall those facts came from a SEMA publication.
Then again like others have claimed, I fix anything I can. Did not someone
post here awhile back the following,
Use it up, wear it out, if you can't do without.  I told that one to my
dad and he thought that was awesome.  Maybe I should not encourage him.
If anyone has better facts let me know!
-Geoff Johnson
63 Vert
63 Coupe