<VV> Rough Running

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Mon Jun 13 23:52:51 EDT 2005

At 06:13 PM 6/13/2005 -0700, AKG wrote:
>Take a look at your distributor too.  Maybe a loose points plate or
>excessive looseness of the shaft.  Cap, Rotor??
>Keep looking - you'll find it.
>
>The Artful Dodger

I think this is excellent advice.  When you did both carbs twice, time to
look elsewhere.  I am sure you are aware of this approach, but I'll mention
it anyway.  I first like to perform a compression check or even better, a
cylinder balance check.  Do that first, since no amount of tuning can solve
a low compression cylinder.  This does NOT appear to be your problem,
however.

Next, I like to make sure the ignition system is absolutely bullet
proof.  Do what you need to verify the distributor points plate, if any, is
not worn and intermittently grounding (or NOT grounding).  A clip lead to
ground on the pin going into the advance tab can verify intermittent points
plate grounding.  Add the grounding wire now added on Pertronix, if you are
running one of those.  Check the distributor gear roll pin.  Check the
advance weights and that they are in correctly.  Check the advance can and
that it is not pulling in too soon or has a leaking diaphram.  Check for
cracked distributor cap.  Leaky condenser.   Replace the stock ignition
coil, if you were still running one of those.  On and ON until you have an
ignition system you don't need to worry about.  I am quite sure most of
these you already have done.  See if you missed anything.

Then is a good time to check for carb gremlins and fuel quality.

Larry