<VV> Question re tail lights on 62 Monza

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 20:52:10 EDT 2005

Folks,

I have been working on my 62 Monza again.  You may remember I  broke my right
ankle while working on this car on April 15th (tax day).  I  stepped on a
creeper (which I thought I had shoved under the car) and took a  rapid trip to
the concrete.

I'm in a walking boot (out of the cast) and back working on the car.   I had
been replacing the fabric perimeter seal on the shrouds and repainted all
shroud work.  Well, now about 9 weeks late I am finishing up.  I got  it all back
together and changed out the engine compartment wiring  harness.  I bought
one from Clarks and everything was very clear and simple  in changing it out.
Simply unplugging one wire and plugging the new one  in.

When I got around to the right turn signal and backup light, I had to do a
little work as the previous owner or a mechanic had jury rigged the wiring on
that light fixture.  In any case, I figured it out and actually kept the
ground wire setup that they had attached to the outside of each light  socket.
These wires were attached to the engine compartment latch  bolt.

The lights on the right worked perfectly, but on the left side (drivers) I
had the following happen.

With the head lights on (light switch pulled all  the way out) the following
was true:
(1) Both tail lights were on (elements burning)
(2) When the brake pedal was pushed down enough for the brake light switch
to activate, the right side brake light comes on and the left tail light goes
OUT.
(3) The right turn signal works, but the left turn signal does  NOT.

With the head light OFF (light switch pushed all the way in) the following
was true:
(1) When the brake pedal was pushed down BOTH brake lights came  ON.
(2) Both right and left turn signals worked properly.

In talking to a friend, he suggested that perhaps there is a ground problem
on the left side light fixtures.  Does anyone have an idea on  this.  Is it
possible that I need to add a secondary wire to act as a  ground from each light
bulb fixture?

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.  I can drive the car  during the
day like this, but want to be able to drive safely after dark.   This next
Saturday the car club I belong to will be going to Washington,  Louisiana to an
antique mall and flea market.  I hope to have her up and  running and make the
trip there (plus all the other driving that I enjoy in  it).  When driving it
as long as I don't look in the mirror I can be 18  again.

Thanks
Randy Vidrine
Branch, LA
62 Monza Coupe