<VV> Question re tail lights on 62 Monza

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Tue Jun 14 21:18:32 EDT 2005

I think your socket on the left side is not grounded (ground wires or no).
OR you've got the wrong type of bulb in there (switch bulbs left to right,
see if problem moves). OR you don't have the bulb twisted in right on the
left (line up the high pin on one side of the bulb with the high slot in the
socket, and the low pin on the other side with the low slot).
     The socket normally grounds through the aluminum housing it's mounted
in, but there's a concentric press fit between two pieces between the socket
and the body the housing is screwed to. I have seen corrosion at this press
fit sufficient to interrupt the ground. A ground wire properly attached to
the socket SHOULD overcome this problem. The wire should not be attached to
the aluminum housing, but to the socket PROPER. I actually solved this in a
very jackleg way by accident (very elegant - no wires). I drilled a hole
where the two housing pieces are pressed together, using a dull bit (only
kind I had). This dull bit didn't make a hole, but it DID smear metal back
and forth between the two pieces, establishing a solid electrical connection
that lasted the rest of the life of the car. I even lived in Louisiana (NO)
when I did this.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1961 Monza coupe 98hp 4-speed