<VV> windshield install

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Thu Jun 16 10:22:26 EDT 2005

I forgot to mention those differences.  But the probblem is that you do
the best you can.   You can do a pretty darn good install that looks
correct and seals with the new gaskets as I described.  I used an original
when I did my convertible, luckily had one.  But that is rarely the case.
The other half dozen I have done with the new gaskets came out just fine.
But removing one without breaking the windshield is next to impossible.  I
did this last weekend on a friends car.  Was putting a new windsield in,
tryign to save the slightly scracthed and pitted old one.  I also wanted
save a orignal gasket, usually just slash the lip off the old gasket and
slide the windshield out. This case I did not  hurt the gasket.   The
winshield  broke in
about 4 places.  I now have a spare original next time I need to put a
windshield in, at the cost of a broken windshield.  The
new one we put in looks and seals just fine.  It is not perfect but you
do
what you can with what you have.

Geoff Johnson