<VV> HV Choke Housing Repair Tip

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Thu Jun 16 16:38:14 EDT 2005

I have the easiest method of all to repair carbs ... I just send them to you!

At 12:26 PM 6/16/2005, GYoungwolf at aol.com wrote:
>After having spent more time than I would like repairing the threads in a YH
>carb choke housing today, I thought I would pass some tips along to those who
>have one. Because the housing is made of soft metal, it is not all that
>unusual to over-tighten the 3 small screws that hold the plastic cover to the
>housing. This should not really be necessary since the three spring clips
>only need
>to be compressed to hold it snug, but we probably all know some gorilla
>mechanics who believe tighter is gooder. A popular repair seems to be to
>use some
>sort of sheet metal screw, but since you don't find a lot in the fillister
>head
>design, it just never looks right afterwards (and I get to repair it someday
>:-). Instead, first try a longer screw of the same size (8-32) such as the
>ones that hold the choke housing to the carb body if you have a parts carb
>around
>somewhere. The next best attempt would be a couple of the 8-32 screws that
>hold the venturi cluster in the Rochester carbs, cut off slightly. Often
>there
>are a couple of threads left at the end of the hole, and that's all that's
>required. A final solution is to simply drill out the holes to 10-32, tap,
>and use
>some shortened bowl cover screws from a parts carb or Rochester (and many
>others) carb. (Your major problem will probably be the bottom hole, which
>is a
>dead end. It can be drilled about 1/8" or so deeper, however, without
>getting in
>the hot air passage, and get you the couple of new threads you need). Hope
>this helps.
>The Carbmeister

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html