<VV>tires and wheels

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Jun 16 17:28:54 EDT 2005

Btw, if you want exact repro tires (except for the MVSS legend) and are
willing to pay the price, go to http://www.coker.com/store/customer/home.php

If you want reasonably priced tires for the street start at
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp

The hard (if you want to stay original) part is the wheels. They are narrow
and short. 13" wheels are much less common than even as recently as the
'80s and anything low profile and with a wider patch than a wagon wheel is
going to need at least a 7" wide rim to work properly (yes, virginia, you
can up a 235x50x... on a 5 inch wheel. Maybe. It will look odd and may not
be safe but will certainly wear the center out quickly)

Late models have it easy, just about any 5x4.75" (5x120.7 mm) bolt pattern
RWD GM wheel will fit (I may try some 15x8 snowflakes on the car I finally
select). This was used on just about everything except the biggest GM cars
(they used 5x5"- 5x127mm) for forty years.

Early cars have it more difficult since they used 4x4.5" (4x114.3)mm which
the general abandoned in 1965 and later light RWD cars (Vega, Sunbird) used
4x4" (4x100mm). There are a number of rice burners that used this pattern
but make sure the offset is  an inch (25 mm) or less. More is for FWD. If
unsure about offset (few really understand it) either ask someone or try a
wheel on for clearance all around the wheelhousing straight ahead and at
full lock..

The other issue is that GM wheels do not register (center) on the lugs,
they register on the hub. I believe the GM hub diameter is 2.875" (73 mm)
but from memory so no promises, YMMV.

Padgett