<VV> Re: (VV) Ethanol?

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Fri Jun 17 19:21:14 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <ronh at owt.com>

> Also, alcohol has less energy per gallon so you will have slightly less
> power.
> RonH
**********
....... another " tradeoff" situation, as often occurs.....
Bad News; either methanol or ethanol, has about 1/2 the energy of gasoline
.... so for any crusing speed, you will be burning about twice as much
alcohol.
Good News:  you could increase the compression a lot with alcohol, which
would gain back some mileage ........
Bad News:  the subsidation of alcohol by the government could be
substantial, so maybe we will buy straight alcohol at $1 per gallon, so you
imagine going somewhere at the same fuel cost ..... more bad news though ...
WE ( you and I, the tax aphid class  )   ARE the subsidizing government (g)
.... of course, I heard we just passed the $400 Billion mark for our war on
terrorists , which would subsidize a lot of gas/a/hol, and really PO some of
those foreign oil suppliers ...

The Good News::  alcohol runs cool, so the heating problems with the vair
engine would be less, and maybe we could run " a seeming 300 horsepower"
with no additional cooling magic devices .... and just ignore the cost ...

Oh, one more good news; say that alcohol has 1/2 the energy per unit of
gasoline, the good news is that we can run more than twice the units per
hour , so come out a little ahead of what level of power we can get from
gasoline ...

Tradeoffs .. tradeoffs .. decisions ....

Regards, ken campbell, iowuh corvair guy ...