<VV> Need Help -- Powerglide Problem

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Fri Jun 17 23:33:56 EDT 2005

Ok, Guys.  This one has my self-annointed Corvair owner/mechanic pro  AND his
automatic transmission repair shop stumped.

1964 Monza conv.     If shift lever is put in "D", the  trans. uses both
gears and upshifts as it should.  It also engages Reverse  properly.  If the
shifter is put in "L", the accelerator pedal  is simultaneously drawn down to a
point that the car accelerates to 10-15  mph WITHOUT your foot on the
accelerator.  The pedal also acquires a stiff  resistance.  In other words, it is harder
to depress.  ALSO, If one  starts off in "L" and accelerates, the trans. will
never upshift to high  gear when the shifter is moved to "D".  This
transmission was just  "rebuilt" by said trans. shop.

The trans. was doing this before the rebuild and - quite amazingly, and  even
though I put a clear description of this symptom in writing to the  mechanic,
neither he nor the trans. shop guy ever tried LOW in test driving the  car
after the rebuild.   DUH !!!!!!!     ALSO, I  provided a Clark's  modulater
which was not installed in the rebuild.   Maybe the rebuilder ascertained that the
old one was OK.  ALSO, I provided  a Clark's "E" Clip for the rebuilder but
do not know if he installed it.

Sounds like a linkage problem to me.  This car has been out of  commission
due to this problem for 8 months.

Advance Thanks for any help.

Joe Dunlap
Cen. Florida (sweltering rain forest jungle)