<VV> Possible Thread Generating Question...

bjornyesterday bjornyesterday at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 18 11:09:24 EDT 2005

List Members,

I noticed that the lug nuts and wheel studs on the new '67 Monza were
covered with what looks like wheel bearing grease.  Not the clean
kind of grease... this is the kind that has graphite in it.  It is a
real dark gooey stuff that always gets on you and then is hard to
remove.  Anyway, that got me to thinking... (a process that occurrs
infrequently now days)... about the different kinds of bolts, nuts,
or other threaded things that we come into contact with on our
Corvairs.  To wit... (A little attorney lingo)... I would like
opinions on what kinds of threaded things need what kind of grease,
oil, WD-40, locktite, or nothing at all, on them when they are put
back together.

The first example that comes to mind is the spark plugs.  I was
always told to use antiseize lube... (the silver kind) on any spark
plug that screws into an aluminum head.  Some folks use oil, some use
nothing.

Next is lug nuts.  Our Monza came from Florida, and spent some time
in Illinois, so maybe that is why the liberal coating of grease.  I
have used WD-40 on lug nuts, but I live in Texas... no salt on the
roads here.

I am planning to remove the fan shroud and look around for debris
that may be hiding on the heads and cylinders, and what should I use
when putting the bolts back?  Steel bolt into aluminum threads...
sounds like a place for antiseize lube.

What say you all?

This is gonna be a great thread.

With kindest regards,
Andy Anderson... I'll be in the garage.

The road to a friend's house is never long.