<VV> Tejas grease

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Jun 18 13:31:17 EDT 2005

>  but I live in Texas... no salt on the
>roads here

Odd, was in Dallas a winter ago and was a scandal about the road salt being
stored under the freeways and corroding the supports.

I assemble engines with white grease and antiseize. Have a friend who
believes in installing gaskets dry but I like to apply a thin coat of
grease. Antiseize is used where steel meets aluminum (as in a cylinder
head) or galling is likely. May use a drop of RTV where gaskets meet but
just a drop. Go through a lot of long pipe cleaners and do a lot of surface
prep (could never do this for a living, am way too slow). Also liberaly
coat bearing surfaces and oil pump gears with STP before assembly and ATF
makes a good cleaner.

Wheel bearing grease can be substituted for white grease in a pinch.

Have never understood people who insist on playing godzilla with fasteners,
with proper prep and cleaning/chasing of all threads can install most
things by hand and then just use a wrench for final tightening to specs. If
the surface is straight and shiny to begin with it is not going to leak.

Padgett