<VV> body advice (long)

Ron Guy qcc65 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 18 15:52:26 EDT 2005

Eric,
   I have been using what I consider to be the best body man there is on
Corvairs and this is what he has taught me.
1. Cut the front doglegs out and do a full inspection up through that area.
Remove the fresh air vents and go in through that side also. Remove all
rust, apply extend if needed, and get a coating on all the metal. Inspect
the A pillar area closely for deterioration. Replace the metal if needed.
2. Remove the front and rear grille and inspect all down through the water
flow paths. Remove all rust and apply extend if needed a good coating.
3. Cut out the rear lower fenders and inspect for rust. Replace all thin or
thinning metal and get a good coating on everything.
4. Drill two (2) inch holes in each end of the rockers and inspect the
interior. Clean rockers out. If needed, replace the rockers. Sand blast if
needed and get a good coating throughout. Put plastic plugs in the two inch
holes you drilled and use them to flush out the rockers from time to time.
5. Pull all the carpet up and inspect the floorboards. Use replacement
panels from the vendors for large area replacement and good metal patches
for small repairs. Weld and grind. If you've read this far and are serious
you shouldn't be doing the pop rivet crap.
6. Remove the quarter windows and get down inside for inspection, cleaning
and coating. This is the post side of the door and is structurally
important. Repair as necessary.
7. Drill one (1) inch holes in each side of the lower front body panel.
Flush this area out and inspect the internal. Spray or mop POR or equal in
this area.
8. Get Extend or similar products to flow through all the pinch welds. This
will pay off in the long run.
9. Use two part epoxy primers. My Dad always said, "Buy the best. You'll
never regret it"

If you find a lot of rot as you are inspecting the items listed above, then
go "Ultra" with this car and find a better body to restore.

These are the kind of things the real top notch guys do. Like Ted Farenholt
or Richard Jenkins....I would like to hear what others do.

My 02 cents
Ron Guy