<VV> body advice (long)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun Jun 19 14:57:55 EDT 2005

At 12:52 hours 06/18/2005, Ron Guy wrote:
>Eric,
>    I have been using what I consider to be the best body man there is on
>Corvairs and this is what he has taught me.
>1. Cut the front doglegs out and do a full inspection up through that area.
>Remove the fresh air vents and go in through that side also. Remove all
>rust, apply extend if needed, and get a coating on all the metal. Inspect
>the A pillar area closely for deterioration. Replace the metal if needed.

Bingo.   90% of all the rust that shows up in the front doglegs starts from
inside.

>2. Remove the front and rear grille and inspect all down through the water
>flow paths. Remove all rust and apply extend if needed a good coating.

Earlies are bad for thick grime accumulating in the forward area channel
which of course will rust through and allow water into the trunk.   '60 and
'61 cars are pretty bad about this.

>3. Cut out the rear lower fenders and inspect for rust. Replace all thin or
>thinning metal and get a good coating on everything.

Late lower rear quarter under the battery is of course the worst.    This
area also likes to collect debris over time and water can accumulate from
several sources.   When those lower rear fenders fill with water, it sits
there until it evaporates and that can take a long time.    Earlies don't
have this problem which is why you seldom if ever see an early model Vair
with a rear lower fender rusted out unless it's from the salt belt, and
even then most of the rest of those cars usually is gone before the lower
rears ever rust.

>4. Drill two (2) inch holes in each end of the rockers and inspect the
>interior.

Actually this isn't really necessary.   Just make sure the rocker drains
are clear and that water won't accumulate.    You can run water into the
rockers from the front air grill and watch to make sure the water runs out
easily from the drains.    Rust in the rockers of lates isn't hard to
spot...  just look for blisters on the rockers.   It's generally the case
that lates don't have the rust problem in rockers that earlies usually
have...  depending of course upon "demographics".   I've seen lates rusted
too Hell and back with solid rockers...  while also seeing a late ragtop
with the rockers almost completely gone but still has decent sheet metal
otherwise.   Go figger.

Earlies also tend to rust the rockers easier if they're '60 and/or '61
models, usually around the rear area below the quarter window although they
can sometimes rust the entire length of the rocker.   Likewise Lakewoods
which seem to really enjoy rusting out from inside about a foot ahead of
the wheel well.    Clean those water drains...  clogs are what causes
this.    I've seen people with earlies that still have solid rockers
pouring engine oil into each side of the air intake grill and let it run
down into the rockers and drain out the hole at the rear just ahead of the
back tire, catching the oil in a pan, let it drip-dry overnight.   The
inside of the rocker well wicks the oil up and around, keeps water from
seeping into nooks and crannies where you don't want it.

>Clean rockers out. If needed, replace the rockers.

Now, for sake of mention:

Replacing the rockers in a late is NOT a pie job.   Be prepared to do a LOT
of grinding, cutting, and welding and come supplied with plenty of
patience.   Earlies aren't so bad, mainly because the metal is thinner than
the late rockers and easier to manipulate...  although the early rockers
are kinda hard to come by, have to rely upon NOS if you can find them
(they're still out there) and of course you should prep the area inside the
rockers with anything you can find to stop/prevent rust.    Late repro'ed
rockers are readily available from vendors... but you still should
rust-proof the inside area while you're at it.

>Sand blast if
>needed and get a good coating throughout. Put plastic plugs in the two inch
>holes you drilled and use them to flush out the rockers from time to
>time.

This is only a viable practice if you INTEND to clean the rockers out
regularly, and IF you drive the car often enough to have stuff accumulate
inside the rocker channels.   Most of this (leaves etc) can be kept out
simply by blocking the front air grill off with fine mesh screen, attached
to the underside of the air grill.   That alone can make flushing out the
rockers moot, since nothing larger than a match head can get in.   Running
a hose into the air grill will flush the small stuff through the rockers
and out the drain holes...  IF they've already been flushed of the big
crap, depending of course on what managed to find its way into he rocker
area in the first place.

>5. Pull all the carpet up and inspect the floorboards. Use replacement
>panels from the vendors for large area replacement and good metal patches
>for small repairs. Weld and grind. If you've read this far and are serious
>you shouldn't be doing the pop rivet crap.

Pop rivets are only useful for small localized holes.   And that's only if
you don't have easy access to a welder.

Do not try  to use pop rivets to attach a larger panel unless you're really
good at it and you use *steel* rivets plated with zinc of cadmium or
something, anything, that keeps them from rusting.   No aluminum.    If
you're gonna replace the floor panel with a repro from the vendors, find
somebody to weld it in for you if you can't do it yourself.   You'll be
glad you did.

>6. Remove the quarter windows and get down inside for inspection, cleaning
>and coating. This is the post side of the door and is structurally
>important. Repair as necessary.

The place to look is the lower run of the pillars where they attach to the
tops of the rockers.   These areas NEED to be solid.    And you CAN clean
this area out without having to dismember the quarter window
mechanism.   It's no picnic to remove and reinstall all this
stuff.   Access to the backside of the pillar can be had to spray rust
preventative onto the area without gutting the forward section of the
fender.   Now, repairs to this area from behind are a different
matter.    Use your judgement.

>7. Drill one (1) inch holes in each side of the lower front body panel.
>Flush this area out and inspect the internal. Spray or mop POR or equal in
>this area.

Obviously you do this in "blind" spots only, NOT the areas you can reach
from inside the trunk.

>8. Get Extend or similar products to flow through all the pinch welds. This
>will pay off in the long run.
>9. Use two part epoxy primers. My Dad always said, "Buy the best. You'll
>never regret it"

Ditto.

>If you find a lot of rot as you are inspecting the items listed above, then
>go "Ultra" with this car and find a better body to restore.

Here is where the gray area begins.

"Good" bodies are getting harder and harder to find.  It's coming to the
point that it soon will not be practical to simply resort to discarding a
body with rust and picking up another that's "good" unless you wanna drag
one halfway across the country.    It could well end up that you fix the
body you have or do without.   It's NOT impossible to repair rust and in
many instances it's practical to do so as long as the rust tends to be
localized and the car isn't "shot through".

I have seen cars sitting in private "junk yards" that ten years ago got
passed over by people who took a look and said "That one's too rough for
me."    Now, ten years later, someone comes along and jumps on the same car
because it's better than most stuff they've been able to turn up these days.

Rust is relative.   People in Phoenix have become spoiled.    They should
spend a little time on the east coast around the beaches of South Carolina
or maybe the coastal areas of New England and see what those people have to
deal with.

Moral of story:   Don't be too scared of rust... sometimes it's not as bad
as it may seem.    There's a web site with a Monza convertible that was
refurbished by a fellow  in Germany...   the car was suffering from the
metal mites to the degree that most "purists" here would NEVER have
considered looking twice at the car.   But its German owner obviously loved
it, and he was a *welder*, and I mean a welder.   The guy did some good
work on the car and did it WELL, and a Monza ragtop was given a new chance
at life.

Perhaps the thing to do is to look at the car with the attitude of what it
COULD be, not what it is.   Decide whether you want to do the work.   If
you decide that the car is "too bad", consider where to find another that's
better... and then go back and look again.    Then, either commit yourself
to doing the work, or find something better... or do without.

Again, get educated on auto body construction and practical repair, and
then decide whether the one you're looking at is actually "too bad".

>....I would like to hear what others do.

I'm not a professional.   I do it purely as a hobbyist pursuit...  however,
I've done it pretty consistently over the years and I've sprayed around
25-30 cars (most of them Corvairs) give or take a few.   I've done body
work on at least as many, some of it rather involved and requiring some
"mechanical assist" in severe cases (such as the red '69 Monza that got
t-boned)... Vairs were built with some thick sheet metal compared to modern
cars.   I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing and  I like to think I
have produced some decent finished products.

Still, I'm just a jackleg...  ;)    The cars I do are daily drivers or
weekend warriors, not professionally prepared show cars with epoxy paints
shot from inside a space suit.  I paint with mostly lacquer...  I clearcoat
metallics and some base colors, just polish the others, depending...   I do
to suit myself, and I do the best I can.    If done right and cared for
properly, lacquer can prove to be a good finish.   Lots depends on
application and "cooking in" the paint afterwards.    I don't have a bake
oven to cure the paint, so I have to rely on a hot summer sun to do it for
me.   It *does* work... takes some time.

I do it because even 25 years ago when I started fooling around
with  autobody and paint work, the costs of such were already rising to
some severe degree for good work, and I didn't want to cough up the sort of
money to pay what a good job cost.   So, I decided that I'd  learn what I
needed to know in order to get the job done without having to scrounge up
the bucks to get someone else to do it for me and then not knowing what I'd
paid for in the first place... such as how much bondo was crammed into a
crease instead of the metal  having been worked etc.

Another thing worth mentioning is that modern polyester fillers have gotten
MUCH better than the original "Bondo" brand of filler, which would crack
and chip after a while and did not stick quite as well as it should have...
the modern name brand fillers are much better at staying in place and not
cracking as well as being much more forgiving about how thick they are
applied although it STILL holds that if you have to cake on filler more
than 1/4" deep, you didn't do your job on the sheet metal.    Body fillers
are a work aid, NOT a means to an end.

It helps to *enjoy* doing this sort of work.   I get along by having a good
experience doing the work and seeing the improvements to what was
there.   I feel like I've accomplished something...   and if you really
enjoy the work, it's not really *work*.    It becomes fun.

tony..