<VV> Rocker panel replacement advice.

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jun 18 19:44:35 EDT 2005

I am almost ready to take my 65 Monza Convertible to the body shop to have the rocker panels replaced.  I have the replacement ones on hand (12 Ga.) from Clark's. (4)  The shop that will be doing the work has done work for me before, and did acceptable work.  What I would like to have are "watch it" type tips from some who have done this.   I've already been told to tell him to use a minimum of 3 jackstands on each side while installing the panels, but other tips would also be appreciated.  One question I have is how does he go about rust proofing the inside of the panels after welding them in (I am no body man). he probably knows how, but I want to make sure it is done.  Is there some way to coat them inside with POR 15 or something similar. How is it done, and how can I verify if it is done.  Also, since my car has A/C, is there any chance that the freon hoses could be damaged while doing this, and if so, what precautions should I take. Don't want to ever have to do this again.....to expensive and drastic. Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.