<VV>Factory Manuals

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Jun 18 21:04:02 EDT 2005

>  The Shop Manuals say not to. But aircraft and old time mechanics say to do
>so. I put my vote in with the second group.

I always consider the factory manuals to be essential but less than gospel.
A good case in point is the Quad-4 engine in my son's car - there were no
less than four different TSBs - technical service bulletins - superceding
the factory manual on how to install the head. All say not to clean the
head bolt threads in the block.

When I pulled son's apart for an oil leak I found so much engine sealer and
grit in the bolt holes that the bolts would not go in far enough much less
torque correctly. Could not even turn bolts in by hand.

After thorough cleaning and thread chasing, all bolts would spin in with
fingers and after checking the block, taking .005" off the head to make
absolutely level and installing everything properly (have to use a "one
torque" head gasket since it takes major disassembly to get back to the
head bolts), it does not use oil & has over 150k on the clock.

Keep in mind that often the factory service manual is written before the
cars even reach the showroom and errors often creep in. Further, few even
see the TSBs - usually about a three inch binder for each year.

So think of the FSM like the pirate's code and "more like guidelines".

ps I always buy the factory service manual for my cars but that is just the
start - are often separate body, transmission, radio, brake, and
carburation manuals as well. Then there are the P&As for all of the above,
and the TSBs. Think I have 20 or 25 feet of just service manuals and such
plus a gaggle of aftermarket books. I always find valuable nuggets in even
the most trivial.

Padgett