<VV> RE: Ethanol? filter problems?

Mark Noakes mark at noakes.com
Sun Jun 19 01:13:03 EDT 2005

Interesting on your no starting problems down to below 0 degrees; that has not been my experience.

All our company vehicles at Oak Ridge National Laboratoy run on E85.  When the temperature drops to 25F or so, they won't start...at all...till it warms up.  The remedy is to mix in more gasoline until the weather improves, which wouldn't work in more northern areas.

GM vehicles don't seem to have trouble with the fuel; Fords most definitely do and have a higher maintenance cost associated with them from my discussion with the guys in the shop.

Also the "gas" mileage is much lower with the E85 though the cost is higher.

Mark Noakes