<VV> RE: Ethanol No Corvair

Garth Stapon stapon1 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 19 15:04:40 EDT 2005

I lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in the late 70's a ran Mohawk gasohol
in my 1977 Caprice.  Mohawk sold gasohol then (and still does).  When the
temperature dropped below minus 20 C the car started like a dog.  With it's
block heater plugged in it was OK but only after I put in a 1000 amp
battery. (It was carbureted)

At that time, I ran gasohol for its antifreeze properties, but never
attributed its poor starting characteristics on the fuel.

I run ethanol enriched fuel here in CT (MTB is gone thank goodness) and my
2005 Taurus is a slow started on the first start in the morning - regardless
of temperature.  Once it starts and runs for a short period it fires up
immediately  on subsequent use.  It is fuel injected and I have never driven
a fuel injected car that required five to six seconds of starter time before
it runs.Could it be the fuel? I know that Ford offers an ethanol option but
as far as I know, they only upgraded the corrosion resistance of the wet
parts in the fuel delivery system.

Interesting thread...

Regards, Garth

(PS - Just finished a 4 part article on the Firebird - Corvette, Mustang and
Barracuda are next)