<VV> Odd fuels and FI

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jun 19 11:37:05 EDT 2005

> > as Corvair owners are not going to take advantage of modern technology
> > like variable cam timing or variable compression ratios and as I said I
> > personally don't care about cars that do.

(People pursueing 100 point cars please skip)

Depends a lot on how stock you want or need to stay. In 1973 I ran a number
of experiments using a cruise control servo to control the minimum manifold
pressure using a 1967 Camaro convert with a 275 hp 327 (10:1 compression)
and Rochester FI (1964 vintage) was able to get over 23 mpg at 70 mph on
regular gas. Today with modern electronic controls we can do much more.
Ever wonder why regular in mountain states is 85 PON ? Lower air pressure
above 5,000 feet.

I have heard of electronic FI being used on the Corvair engine and once I
find the right convertible think that would be an interesting project -
would probably start with the port injection used on the 2.8 Fiero since I
have a lot of experience with that and the flow is right. Might not even
need to diddle the maps very much. Would not be as difficult as taking a
1988 Reatta (digital dash running off ALDL data line) and modifying the
computer to run a much later supercharged 3800 hooked to a Getrag 5-speed
(used the TCC control line to operate the waste gate).

Injector timing might be an issue but I doubt it, original Rochester
mechanical was constant flow and many GM injection modes are
non-sequential. When you consider that a 110 hp manifold is really just a
log and a carb is a poorly controlled leak, about the biggest issue is that
O2 sensors need some backpressure to light properly so would need to start
with a stock exhaust system and not trombones. No big.

Nice thing about computer controls is that you could have a switch to
select what fuel to run - taking a long trip on Interstates, a setting
selects 87 PON regular.

Years ago I autocrossed a Corsa with a single Quadrajet in the center and
facing backwards that worked very well. Today we can do better.