<VV> Engines, torque, and bog

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jun 19 12:16:40 EDT 2005

>Try the same thing from idle with the clutch already
>released and it's not going to like it one bit.

Lot depends on how it is cammed how much power you will have and the carbs
whether it will bog. Corvair is a relatively short stroke engine so is not
going to be a torque engine but that does not mean it cannot pull strongly
from low rpm. Consider the 2.8 in a Fiero (about the same weight as a
Corvair believe it or not). 89x76 mm. 164 Corvair is 87x75mm not a whole
lot of difference. Both around 8.5:1 compression.

Fiero 2.8 with manual trans & good valve springs will pull smoothly from
1500 rpm to 5500. Is a function of FI with port injection and cam. (I
*really* do not like TBI).

Not certain over 30 mpg would be as easy with a Corvair as a Fiero, is a
drag issue, but should be able to get close.

Indy engines use big venturis on individual runners and are focused on max
power at high rpm. I like a broad torque range (HP determines top speed but
torque is what gets you there) and a 2,000 rpm Interstate cruise (and in
Florida, Interstates are 70 mph most places).

As far as the combustion chamber is concerned, "an engine does not care
whose name is on the valve covers" and things like V-6 vs flat and
water-cooled vs air really do not matter (though a flat six is easier to
balance) .

Bog is usually a function of ldelay between increased fuel flow and demand
with a carb (why they have accelerator pumps). With digital FI mixture
change is instant.

So while things like VVT are clearly beyond the scope of a Corvair, digital
FI from an 80's GM car (would grab from a 2.8 Fiero for wiring and computer
location) is very possible (and may even be cheap). Surely someone has been
working in this area. Heck I have a couple of 3800 manifolds with rails and
injectors sitting in the back garage but may be a bit of overkill.

Anyone out there tried it ?

Padgett