<VV> RE: Ethanol?

Dennis Nichols dixiehwy25 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 19 21:37:20 EDT 2005

When I first got my 1994 Z28 (10:1 C.R.) in late 1997, I used to use Super America/Marathon 92 (later upped to 93) with the ethanol booster in it frequently. I quit using it when I filled up with it once and lost about 4 MPG in my usual driving. After a lot of thought, I deduced that ethanol gas has a higher evaporation rate to it (or maybe it can "leak" out of a closed fuel system?). Couldn't hold a candle to Chevron 93 for economy or power anyway. The Chevron has been tops with me ever since. My '66 Corsa got a steady diet of it- if I bought other brands it was BP, Shell, or any other fuel I knew was "pure" gasolene here in KY.

Now I have a fleet car for a daily driver and am not so picky, but it still gets the "pure" gas much more than the ethanol stuff. The difference between ethanol  and "pure" is not all that much and on a long trip I'll use ethanol as I'll be using it up rapidly. I'm driving the fleet car 200+ miles daily during the week and 400-500 on weekend work days, so that's why it gets more ethanol. I don't have to consider the perceived evaporation...

But in a Corvair, I'd go with pure, because in my experience it is, quite frankly, the best.

"Every time a man gets in his car it should be a vacation"- Harley Earl

Dennis Nichols    CORSA, CKC

1961 Lakewood 700 98/3

Interested in wagons? lakewood700 at yahoo.com