<VV> What a Corvair week! (long)

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 22:41:24 EDT 2005

It has been a great Corvair week. It started out with an autocross last
Sunday. I got to run in the dry, but then I had to work in the rain. When I say
rain I really mean torential Kansas downpour. Lots of fun watching my
competition slipping and sliding in the river running through the parking lot.  Then I
installed Kevlar brake shoes on my Corsa. They really do make a  difference.
Thursday and Friday nights were spent working on Steve Zeigler's '64  coupe
(Mid America Ultra Monza). Terry Kalp came over to help with the  installation
of new brake shoes. Why is it that EM shoes never seem to fit out  of the box?
Anyhow, we got 'er done.

Saturday was the third annual "Juna Tuna" at Terry's shop. We didn't have
too many car to work on (too many Tunas result in all Corvair running good) so I
 used the oppertunity to install a set of braided steel brake hoses. I was
helped  by a fine young Corvair mechanic in training. At 12, Jarrod demonstrated
his  ability around cars. He also helped is Dad installing viton o-rings. As
his  "reward," I took him for the test drive in my car. He was quite excited
about  the ride in the Corsa. Terry mentioned that his V-8 car needed some
excercize. I won't pass on a chance to drive that car. I asked Jarrod's Dad what
"his speed limit was" and he said whatever I thought was appropiate. I heard
tripple digits. We went out, but I kept the speed down to a meer 110 (a good
Corvair number), both out and back. The car was still accelerating very
nicely.  I thought the smile might break Jarrod's face.

Today was the Lake Afton Car Show. This is billed as tha largest outdoor
free car show in America. There were only several hundred cars including several
Corvairs. The weather was good, the food was better, but the company was the
best. One gentleman came into our gathering and asked about the '62 vert. He
said, "I used to own that car." I replied, "That car or one just like it?"
"No  that very one," he said. Well that started a nice chat between the current
owners, Bernie and Julie Strecker (VV lurkers) and the man about the history
of  the car. I'm looking forward to the story Bernie and Julie will write for
our  newsletter.

This week will be about getting ready for Iowa. I'll be getting the AC
charged tomorrow. Then I'll spend the rest of the week making the car looking  nice
and shiny. I'll be going after the Tweety for the 1% race Corvair and I'm
really going to work to get a ride in the Roe car.

Ned