<VV> Non-corvair but phun

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jun 19 22:44:33 EDT 2005

>I just recently went through a similar search for my Corvair-powered Westy
>which also has the stock tire size of 7.00-14 (and a wheel width of 5.5"),
>but in a
>reinforced sidewall due to the rated weight (4800lbs) of the vehicle (and
>to think VW thought a 1600 was sufficient!!!).

AFAIR we had Monkey Ward 7.00x14 LT tires on our '70 Westphalia with a
warmed over and RVEECO equipped dual-port 1600 (room for two friendly
adults, one not-so-friendly adult, and one midget). Once pulled the Cascade
mountains in Washington state from the east all in 4th gear. Probably
*should* have dropped to third but wanted to see if it would make it. Major
concern was whether the ash from the just-erupted Mt. St. Helens would clog
the air filter. Didn't but still trying to get all of the ash off the case
of my Canon SLR after wife dropped in a three-foot-deep ashbank.

Probably about the same power-to-weight as an Ultra.

Padgett