<VV> more on EM w/s gasket

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Mon Jun 20 12:06:39 EDT 2005

Folks
Just spoke to our product development department on another issue and they gave me some more info on the development of the EM windshield gasket.

When originally reproduced, Steele did what the other manufacturer does today. Used a gasket previously used on 50's era Chevy's with chrome reveal trim to shape one for the Corvair. The vendor that worked with Steele on it initially felt this would be "good enough", and Steele agreed.

As units sold, and the customer complaints came in, the vendor told Steele that this would have to be properly fixed, and so it was. The other company making the gasket still makes it the way it was originally designed, no molded corners and the wrong tapers.

I did find out that from what we know, Underground buys Steele gaskets for stock. I'll let Lonald correct me if he doesn't buy from us exclusively.

Hank