<VV> EM windshield gasket

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Thu Jun 23 13:52:06 EDT 2005

I received my new EM windshield weatherstrip from Steele Rubber today.  As
promised, here is my report comparing it to an original used (OEM)
weatherstrip.  Refer to pictures at the following site:
http://community.webshots.com/album/377009302kNOLXF

I am happy to report the Steele weatherstrip does indeed faithfully
reproduce the correct tapers and channel depths of the OEM weatherstrip.  I
actually measured the widths and channel depths of both at the top and
bottom corners, upper, side, and lower surfaces, and as near as I can tell
they are identical.  Next, I successfully installed the stainless trim into
all four surfaces, and I am satisfied that it fits correctly.

I have not attempted to install a windshield glass and the trim.  Since the
replacement glass is generally not as thick as the OEM glass, I would expect
there to be a little bit of slop as far as the thickness of the glass
channel is concerned, but I would expect the trim to still fit correctly.
Note that installing the trim and glass into the weatherstrip is not an easy
task even when reusing an old gasket; it would certainly be more difficult
with a new weatherstrip that has not yet been stretched.

Also, keep in mind that in the installed position, the side sections of the
weatherstrip have to curve in the vertical plane (along the sides of the
windshield).  When looking at the used OEM weatherstrip, this curve appears
to be molded in. The reproduced weatherstrip does not have this curve - the
side pieces are flat, but can be stretched to fit the trim.   Although the
observed curve in my OEM weatherstrip could be a result of having been
forced into that position over many years, I don't think that is actually
the case: my used OEM gasket is still quite soft and pliable, with no checks
or breaks.

One last point: the Steele weatherstrip has a number of molded rubber "nubs"
that stick out on the corners and side sections (leftover from injection
molding, no doubt) and the joints between the sides and top/bottom pieces
are uneven.  Most, but not all, of these defects will be covered up by the
installed stainless trim.

In conclusion, the Steele reproduction weatherstrip is certainly an
improvement over what has been available elsewhere, but it is still not
quite an "exact" reproduction.  It should work satisfactorily, however.

Bill Hubbell