<VV> Re: V8 Corvair

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Jun 20 21:58:26 EDT 2005

In some ways, yes, a 55 with a 427 isn't really a 55 anymore.  Not that it's bad, it's just not a 55 really.  The big difference in the examples you cite and my problem with Corv8's is that at least they came with water-cooled engines, inline 6's or V-8's.  The change is less subtle.  Plus the engine is still where the original one was and the back seats are still there.  The conversion to Corv8 is so dramatic that to me it's just not a Corvair anymore.  I'm not saying it's not a cool car, just not a Corvair. There certainly is a Corvair connection and relative the specific example of this hot-rod competition, I guess I'd be inclined to root for the car that LOOKS like a Corvair more than some other car.

I still say that to me a Corvair has a Corvair body AND a Corvair engine.  The EM's, LM's, vans and trucks are all "Corvairs" to me.  The Corvairs with other engines in them and Corvair engines in non-Corvair bodies are interesting - but NOT Corvairs (to me).  It's just my opinion is all.

That stinkin' Jay Leno likes to put Corvettes under every car he owns. He goes on and on about how fast his old Buick is.  But is it an old Buick?  With modern Corvette engine and suspension?  Or is it a weird looking Corvette?  Or a "hot-rod".  Or an automotive abortion?  The only thing it has in common with an old Buick is the body and interior.  The guts are something else altogether - I can't see calling it a Buick anymore.  I find it interesting but I think I'd appreciate an actual old Buick more than that thing he's got.

You keep going down that slippery slope and you'll end up like 'em good ol' NASCAR boys thinking that those are Monte Carlos jes like you can buy out there racin'.

mike
not really as opinionated as I sometimes come across as being)