<VV> Cantilever tires

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Jun 22 14:44:53 EDT 2005

>Ah you never ran Formula Ford or V. A  5" rim in  Formula Ford with 7" of
>tread. the sidewall was an inch or more out from the rims.

I described this earlier in a PM and slightly different form since did not
know it was of general interest. Apparently it is.
Sure, before the into of cantilever tires (around 1965 - for those of you
with good libraries, see the Car and Driver "2+2 vs 2+2" road test) treads
and sections were narrow to prevent reduction of the contact patch in a
corner. The physics are fairly simple is you think about a tire and a
narrow rim. As you increase the lateral force, the tire moves in
response   from / \ to something more like / | and the side away from the
corner lifts while the sidewall on the side into the corner becomes almost
a straight line and the tire tries to roll the sidewall under, decreasing
the effective contact patch and the traction. OTOH if you begin with a
wider rim / \  tread movement straightens the outer edge, re-enforcing the
contact patch. You can also design for minimal contact in a straight line
and increasing traction in a curve.

This is why in aulden times race tires were narrow and inflated to high
pressures. (Was also because generations of teachers taught that friction
was a constant and the surface area did not matter. They also taught that
more than 1 gee acceleration through tires was impossible. Got very upset
when I pointed out that it meant you could never turn a 1/4 in under 9
seconds).

In the early 60's, drag racers found that as the contact patch increases
(within limits - see "unladen understeer") so did traction but it took '80s
fractal math to show why however they had no limits on wheels and no
lateral forces to contend with..

Tire companies grabbed the new technology and developed tires that were
designed so that side forces did not lift the outside edge when cornering
despite a relatively narrow rim. This was particularly important because
both the SCCA and NASCAR had strict limits on rims but not on tires. These
tires were designed so that tire distortion in corners did not reduce the
contact patch despite rims considerably narrower than the tire section.
This geometry was called a cantilever tire since the acting surface (edge
of the tread) was some distance beyond the support (rim).

A "low profile" was necessary to gain this effect and led to the first 70
(1967) and 60 (1970) (years from memory so no promises) series production
tires that were the distant ancestors of tires today.

Even so, for a good handling street car you want a rim as wide as the tread
and for a race car, the rim should be the same or more than the section
width of the tire.

Part of the reason early Corvairs had a tendancy to spin was because the
geometry of the swing axle just made the decreased contact patch problem
worse - the harder you conered, the less traction you had until breaking
loose was inevitable.

Once you know it is there, you can feel it happening.

Padgett