<VV>Octane/Ping

Paul Fox paulvair at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 09:13:49 EDT 2005

Padgett,
              It would be nice if you could get a Corvair to work at 9 to 1 on 87 octane. Maybe when the engine is fresh with no carbon build up. I think the air cooling will keep you from the ideal temps for this. I guess you could deflash the heads very carefully and polish the chambers and valves and remove trhe lower shrouds and spray water on the heads to keep things cool enough. That's part of the reason Porsche gave up on air cooling. That and smog reasons.
         If we had water cooling it would be very doable. Many modern cars do this very well. Very tight controls on temp, fuel,and timing,center mounted spark plugs ect. make it work today.
              Paul Fox