<VV>Octane/Ping

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Thu Jun 23 16:58:49 EDT 2005

You are correct!  The reason people associate higher power with higher
octane is that higher octane does allow higher compression, different
ignition timing, and so forth -- and these things can increase
power!  Premium in a car that does not need it is at best a waste, and can
even decrease mileage a little.

At 05:13 PM 6/22/2005, Padgett wrote:

>>  Re: Octane/Ping
><rant>
>OY! Read my lips: if there is any difference in BTUs between regular and
>premium, it is premium that has less.
>
>Engines run best and give maximum mpg on the *minimum* octane gasoline
>that allows complete combustion without detonation (ping).
>
>Keep in mind that we are really talking a fairly narrow range of engine
>characteristics and an equally narrow range of octane numbers and for my
>purposes, at or close to sea level.
>
>"Premium" gasolines have additives to slow down the flame propagation rate
>and raise the flash point. They do not add to the "power" of the gasoline
>but rather change its burn (you want an even burn of the mixture and for
>economy cruise you want it a lot leaner than stochiometric) properties.
>
>Even burn in a SI engine is a steady and complete combustion of the
>mixture from a single flame front starting at the spark plug. If a second
>flame front starts from a hot spot or the exhaust valve (why you index
>plugs tby pointing the gap at the exhaust valve) nasty things happen when
>they collide (the knock or ping) but mainly because the mixture burns much
>faster (two flame fronts ~ twice as fast) than planned and max pressure
>occurs too early. (see previous posts).
>
>Once you wrap your mind around the fact that inside the combustion chamber
>you want an even burn that takes a measureable amount of time and
>concludes at a particular point, everything gets much easier.
>
>This is why my original observation was that a N/A engine with only 9:1
>compression and a 3 1/2" bore should not require over 89 PON (and probably
>87) to develop maximum power, Something I intend to prove once I find the
>right car.
></rant>
>
>Padgett

>Change your options:
>http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I
sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of
pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html