<VV> Head Fins: How Smooth/Clean?

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 25 15:42:43 EDT 2005

The "solid thermodynamic theory" (actually, heat transfer theory) says
smooth is better.  The rough surfaces trap air that doesn't move much.  Air
is an excellent insulator when it can't move.  That's what the fiberglass,
foam, etc. insulation in your house is doing - trapping air so it can't flow
much.  There's a point at which the flow becomes laminar, which won't cool
as well as turbulent flow, but I don't think we have to worry about laminar
flow around our heads.

My personal opinion on deflashing heads is that you should do it with long
1/8" drills.  You can get 6" ones at your local Home Depot, etc.  Use them
like an end mill to get in there and clean everything out.  The fins are
slightly tapered, so they're just under 1/8" apart in the center of the
heads.  The drill will open this area up nicely, which should improve
airflow.  Bob Helt claims to be able to do two heads without breaking a
drill bit.  I think he tells me this so I will feel bad.  It took me 7 to do
my last set.  But then, I'm not a patient man, and tend to cut sideways with
the drill, which bends it until it breaks.  A normal person should be able
to do it without breaking more than a few.  ;-)  If you like, I can send a
picture of the resulting head.

Roger Gault
Austin, TX