<VV> Head Fins: How Smooth/Clean?

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sat Jun 25 17:52:20 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "N. Joseph Potts" <pottsf at msn.com>
that the closer I can get these flash vestiges
> to disappearing, the better my heads will be cooled. And this exercise
> brings me to thoughts about the REST of the cooling fins that the cooling
> air passes over (the parts upstream and downstream of the point where the
> flashing is found).
>      If anyone has any actual experience to report from, or solid
> thermodynamic theory, I'd love to hear about it, preferably in a POST to
the
> list. Thanks.
> Joe Potts
***********
For practical purposes, its a matter of balance between maximum surface area
possible, and air molecule exposure to ( movement over )  ( or away from )
those surfaces to carry away the energy ( heat ) .

I would suspect that the gain is in the direction of keeping the surface
Rough, as opposed to smooth, regarding the bumps as millions of little
cooling fins (g) ....

..... as a guess also, the bumps might even help the flow of the air over
the major shape to " burble" and help expose the hot metal to more cooler
air ... I would envision a very smooth fin with a smooth air flow to only be
exposed to a small layer of cooler air nearest the metal ....

... as long as we are using up 20 horses of fan power to blow cool air, it
would be best to try to get every air molecule exposed to the hot metal
surfaces ....

... in our machine shop, we create crates of aluminum shavings ( aluminum
wool .... looks like christmas tinsel ) ; I have often wondered how I could
weld some strips of this stuff onto the heads to increase the surface area
by 3 or 3000 times ... kinda a Saskuatch furry vair engine, I guess ....

*******
at one time, in our toy cars ( air cooled engines ) we bolted big plates of
aluminum ( has fast internal energy transfer )  to the engine heads, and
then screwed in essentially a bunch of rods into the big plate, stuck out
into the air stream ( from the cars whizzing thru the air ) .... this
worked, although ugly, bulky, and heavy.

........... while we are taking up space, maybe I could mention another
thought, that we could make a lot better use of the engine block... or
rather, engine block cooling ... since the engine block for vairs is
aluminum, I bet it soaks up a lot of energy from the heads, and I believe
there could be good benefit from taking a look at increasing energy loss
from the block.

Instead of teensy insulated motor mounts, maybe we should look at big (
large contact area ) girdle mounts of some kind, with fins and rough
surfaces galore ...

keep cool ... ken campbell, iowuh vair guy ...